It took me months upon months to decide what I wanted to do with the large wall in my family room.
I've had the 3-dimensional iron world sitting in a closet for about 6 months - I wasn't sure if it belonged in a den/bonus room or if it could be the focal point of our family room. For most people it would look best in a den, but because of our extensive passion for travel it makes sense to use it as an artistic focal point in a main sitting room.
We purchased the ladder back in January. I was very picky with what kind of ladder I wanted and waited until I found the right one. It's taken me all of this time to perfect the ladder and this space.
Photograph: my hometown of Mission Viejo, CA
Books: bought at a used book store in downtown San Diego while I was living there
Floor plant: I bought in college and my green thumb has kept it alive for over 10 years
The finished look provides a clean, comfortable and meaningfully decorated living space.
1. My favorite color is yellow! While most little girls favorite color is either pink or purple, mine was yellow. It was my wedding color and is my favorite color to wear. Yellow makes me happy!
2. My home decor color palette includesvarious shades of green, carmel, cream and a bit of aqua here and there. All in all, my home decor is a combination of land meets the beach -- earthy and neutral aka traditional. As much as I love yellow, I tend not to decorate with it. Our downstairs bathroom is my favorite room in the house... probably because it's the only room that's yellow!
3. Other people always tell me I look good in bright colors.
4. The color I detest for home decor is hot pink. It always looks tacky and immature and gives the college dorm vibe. As does animal print. Unless done minimally (in a few accent pieces), it just looks cheap cheap cheap!
5. If you were to look in my closet most of the colors you'd see would bewhite, cream or tan. As much as I wear color, I apparently own a lot of light neutrals.
6. A color that I simply cannot pull off no matter how hard I try is heather gray! Totally washes me out and makes me look like I have the flu.
7. The color of my favorite dress is orange and khaki. I have only worn this dress once, Easter 2011, and I've been dying for an appropriate occasion to wear it to again! Maybe I should stop waiting for the right moment and wear it out to dinner one night. God, I love this dress...
Mine have silver hooks and hold 3 rows worth of jewelry. When hanging long necklaces, 2 organizers take up the entire length of a wall, so make sure you have a tall or wide free wall before you purchase 2 of them.
For more options, go to ebay and search "wall mount jewelry organizer."
We live at the lake for a reason. And every chance we get, we are either dining on the lake, drinking at the lake, taking Cali to play in the lake or cruising on the lake. Our world revolves around the lake and since moving to North Carolina 2 years ago we have officially become "those" people, in the best of ways!
During my in-laws weeklong visit we decided to treat them to a day out on Lake Norman.
And what a nice day it was!
We take Cali once a week to a beach... she loves to swim around and fetch sticks in the lake!
Earlier this week our friends told us to meet them on a particular dock and they'd swing by and pick us up for an afternoon of speed racing, sun tanning and beer drinking!
I am in absolute awe of anyone who owns a house on the lake, 40% of which are mansions owned by professional athletes.
The house on the left is gigantic and the house on the right is 4 stories - standard for Lake Norman!
Michael Jordan's house hidden behind the trees and wall
Helicopter pad and mansion, owned by retired NASCAR driver and commentator, Rusty Wallace.
And because every time I'm on a boat I can't get this song out of my mind, and even though I don't know many of the words, I attempt to sing it anyway!